Running Time: 107 mins
Director: Daina Glen
Starring: Brendan Cowell, Peter Dinklage, Yvonne Strahovski, Peter Helliar, Megan Gale
Release Date: 6th May 2010
It’s pretty rare that we see an Australian romantic comedy. These days, our cinemas are flooded with American rom coms, all following the same predictable format, with the same unrealistic characters, sold to us as an “escape” from our lives. Are our lives really that boring?
Thank the Aussie film gods for Peter Helliar (from TV show “Rove”), who has crafted a cute little local “bromance” with a few surprises.
Brendan Cowell plays Jim, a commitment phobe who just can’t say those three little words to his girlfriend Alice (Yvonne Strahovski). After patiently waiting for 3 years for her love to be returned, Alice has had enough, and dumps him. Jim turns to his best mate Blake (Peter Helliar), new mate Charlie (Peter Dinklage) and sister Marie (Bridie Carter) for support.
The cast are fantastic, Brendan Cowell (fresh from starring in “Beneath Hill 60”) is so likeable on screen, and Yvonne Strahovski (“Chuck”) is very sweet as the British Alice. Megan Gale does well too, in her first film role, playing the Italian supermodel Francesca Moretti. You might imagine this role is not too much of a stretch for the former model, but I think she had a tough job on her hands, considering the fact we all know her as “Megan Gale”. But the standout performance is from American actor Peter Dinklage (“Death at a Funeral”, “Elf”), who brings much gravitas to his role. He is very funny yet touching as well, in fact he is so good, he almost shows up the other actors!
The film does drag a little in the second act, but comes together really nicely for a sweet ending. The characters are all very relatable, and there are quite a few laughs to be had. It’s refreshing to see an Australian romantic comedy done this well. Bring on more!
3 ½ out of 5
For a complete guide to what’s worth watching at the cinema, tune into Movie Juice every Saturday night on Movie Extra.
Reviewed by Alicia Malone.
- Movie review – Beneath Hill 60 Rated: M Running Time: 122 mins Director: Jeremy Hartley Sims Starring: Brendan Cowell, Gyton Grantley , Anthony Hayes, Steve Le Marquand, Chris Haywood, Bella Heathcote Release Date: 16th April, 2010 Released a week before ANZAC day, Beneath Hill 60 is a classic war film which celebrates...
- Movie review – Brothers Rated: M Running Time: 104 mins Director: Jim Sheridan Cast: Tobey Maguire, Jake Gyllenhaal, Natalie Portman Release Date: 18th March 2010 Tobey Maguire steps out of his Spiderman shadow to star in “Brothers” as Sam, a soldier getting ready for his tour of duty in...
- Movie review – Hot Tub Time Machine Rated: MA Running Time: 93 mins Director: Steve Pink Starring: John Cusack, Chevy Chase, Rob Corddry, Craig Robinson, Clarke Duke, Crispin Glover Release Date: 22nd April 2010 I love a film with a literal title; you know, one that delivers exactly what it promises. “Snakes...
- At the movies – Alice In Wonderland review Alice In Wonderland Rated: PG Running Time: 108 mins Director: Tim Burton Cast: Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Mia Wasikowska, Anne Hathaway Release Date: 4th March, 2010 Tim Burton’s “Alice In Wonderland” has been one of the most anticipated films of the year. And it...
- At the movies – Green Zone review Rated: M Running Time: 114 mins Director: Paul Greengrass Cast: Matt Damon, Amy Ryan, Greg Kinnear, Brendan Gleeson Release Date: 11th March 2010 Matt Damon and director Paul Greengrass team up once again for “Green Zone”, which is starting to be known as “Bourne 4”....