Running Time: 102 mins
Directed by: Joe Johnson
Starring: Benicio Del Toro, Anthony Hopkins, Emily Blunt, Hugo Weaving
Release Date: 11th February, 2010
Vampires have been dominating popular culture lately with films like “Twilight”, “Daybreakers” and TV shows such as “True Blood”. But now they might finally be dead and buried, with another sexy movie monster bearing it’s teeth and ready to take over.
Set in 1891, “The Wolfman” stars Benicio Del Toro as Lawrence Talbot, who returns home to his estranged father Sir John (Anthony Hopkins) after receiving a letter from his brother’s fiancée Gwen (Emily Blunt), notifying him of his brother’s disappearance. He discovers a strange and savage beast is terrifying his hometown of Blackmoor, with Scotland Yard Inspector Aberline (Hugo Weaving) brought in to solve the case. But the beast might be a little closer to home than Lawrence realizes.
Director Joe Johnson is a special effects whiz, working alongside George Lucas for many years on the “Star Wars” and “Indiana Jones” franchises, and you can really see his expertise at work here. The human to werewolf transformation is the best we’ve seen yet, and every frame is beautifully shot with a dark, gothic feel.
There are some genuinely scary jumpy moments, and boy is it gory! Blood, guts and limbs fly across the screen – its not so much a bodice-ripping period piece, as it is a guts-ripping one!
Left in less capable actors hands, the script might have come across as a little bit silly. But Benicio Del Toro does a great job making us feel sympathy for the man struggling with his inner demon; Emily Blunt is sweet and vulnerable; and Sir Anthony Hopkins is, as usual, simply amazing, making his dialogue appear as if he’s thinking it up on the spot.This is modern gothic horror at it’s best, a classic entertaining film, all about controlling the inner beast which lives inside us all.
4 out of 5.
For a complete guide to what’s worth watching at the cinema, tune into Movie Juice this Saturday night 7:15pm on Movie Extra.
Reviewed by Alicia Malone
- At the movies – The Hurt Locker The Hurt Locker Rated: MA Running Time: 131 mins Starring: Jeremy Renner, Anthony Mackie, Brian Geraghty Directed by: Kathryn Bigelow Release Date: 18th February, 2010 It may be a low budget movie, but chances are you have already heard of “The Hurt Locker”. Making waves...
- At the movies – A Serious Man Rated: M Running Time: 105 mins Director: Joel & Ethan Coen Cast: Michael Stuhlbarg, Richard Kind, Sari Lennick Release Date: 19th November 2009 Directors Joel and Ethan Coen have over 15 movies under their belts, ranging from the mainstream comedy “Intolerable Cruelty” to the Oscar...
- At the movies – The Time Traveler’s Wife The Time Traveler’s Wife Rated: M Running Time: 107 minutes Director: Robert Schwentke Cast: Eric Bana, Rachel McAdams Release Date: 5th November, 2009 When author Audrey Niffenegger released her debut novel “The Time Traveler’s Wife”, she never expected it would be such a hit, spending...
- At the movies – A Single Man A Single Man Rated: M Running Time: 100 mins Director: Tom Ford Cast: Colin Firth, Julianne Moore, Nicholas Hoult, Matthew Goode Release Date: 25th February 2010 I have to admit, when I first heard fashion designer Tom Ford had written, produced and directed a film,...
- At the movies – Moon Rated: M Running Time: 93 mins Director: Duncan Jones Cast: Sam Rockwell, Kevin Spacey (voice) Sci-fi films have been around since the early days of cinema, but it wasn’t until Stanley Kubrick’s classic “2001: A Space Odyssey” in 1968 that the genre really took off....